Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Star Trek

I'm kind of a Star Trek nerd. Well, I'm nerdy in many ways, love of start trek is just one facet of my nerdiness, I suppose. Can I just say, the new movie was awesome! There seems to be this idea going around the web that Trekkies don't like the movie because it's too "cool". Now granted, I am not one of those true Trekkies who dress up in my star trek uniform just to hang out in my basement. I only wear my uniform for special occasions. :) But I loved loved loved the new movie, and I believe most of the supposed critique of the movie by the trekkie community are just rumors. There is a short video which depicts Trekkies bashing the movie, but its made by the onion. And although its pretty obvious that its fake, there was a lot of comments about it afterward to the affect of, "the funniest part about it is thats actually what the trekkies are saying! What a bunch of nerds." Well, I honestly couldn't find any negative reviews period. Maybe I just don't know where the die-hard fans post? I suspect the reason why non -trekkies are so eager to say trekkies hate this movie is because that makes it easier to like it. If the nerds like the movie too, how can you like it and still be cool?

Well, sorry, but the nerds love it. I don't think I have delusions about the original star trek movies, I know they're not "cool", but I loved them anyway despite the shortcomings. Still, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate coolness. And for me, the first time I saw it there something surprisingly personal about the new Star Trek; it was like suddenly having the head-cheerleader say my name. Felt a little strange, but great. Its my new favorite movie. And I don't care if everyone else likes it too, It's awesome. And thats the truth :)-

3 comments:

elesa said...

yep, best movie this year, by far.

Lance Whitaker said...

i loves it. but i missed patty stewart.

Faralee said...

Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about Lance. I was like, "I must not be as nerdy as I thought because I don't know who this is." I even looked it up on Google, but Google didn't really get it either. I understand now. I guess I didn't realize you and Patrick were on such good terms that he lets you call him Patty.